Monday, August 27, 2012

FISKARS Splitting axe

Reviews: Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe

I don't think I have ever written a review for any product I have ever ordered but am so impressed with this "maul" that I had to write. I've been splitting about 15 cords of hardwood a year to heat my house for the last 35 years or so using a single blade axe, 8lb maul, and 2 steel splitting wedges. If the axe didn't work after a few blows, I would sink the axe in and pound on it with the maul until a wide enough crack formed to insert a wedge, and then finish the job. Needless to say, a lot of work.

After reading some of the favorable reviews on Amazon about this splitting axe, I decided to give it a try. All I can say is "WOW", does this thing really work! Pieces of wood that would probably have taken several blows from the axe, or even the mail/wedge combination,literally pop apart with one swing of this thing. It is much lighter than a maul and although very sharp, will not get buried in the wood like an axe blade.

I read somewhere that Fiskars is one of the oldest companies in the world, since 1649! I only wish I'd discovered them sooner than this year. The composite handle supposed is unbreakable.

My only reservation about this axe is it's short length at 28 inches. If splitting wood resting on top of another piece of wood, sometimes it splits so easily the blade can come back at your shins is it missing the bottom log. It takes some getting used to. But overall, this is one impressive tool that anyone that splits firewood should have in their arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment