Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Superb for Splitting Wood

Reviews: Fiskars 7853 X17 23-1/2-Inch Splitting Axe

I've had this axe about 4 years. Have used it around the house and on wilderness canoeing/camping trips. Heavy enough to chop down 8 to 10-inch trees; light enough for good control splitting kindling or limbing downed trees. The wedge-design axe head is frankly amazing in splitting logs. I've abused the axe in many ways including splitting wood on shield rock and using it as a digging implement without any damage (well, other than a need for a lot of sharpening).

The non-stick coating wears off with use, but I don't notice any particular difference. I agree that the plastic axe-head cover with a "handle" isn't the best. I've worn out the plastic "snap' that holds the axe in (a little duct tape has at least temporarily fixed). In my opinion, would be better if it came with a more traditional nylon or canvas axe-head cover. For most users, however, I suspect the supplied plastic cover will work well for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment