Friday, August 31, 2012

Amazing splitter!

Reviews: Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe

Well, I did some research...okay I did a lot of research when looking for a new splitting maul. We recently built a firepit in the backyard and I suddenly ended up with some big rounds of cedar and fir (wet), and some seasoned alder rounds. I used to use one of those 8lb mauls you can get at Lowes for $30 or so with the yellow fiberglass handle...boy am I glad I lost it in the divorce!!!

I'm a tall guy at 6'5" but I still choose the 28" X25 because I felt that if the blade was really as sharp as the reviews stated I could certainly use it as a good camp axe as well. Nice and compact.

How did I find this one? Amazon really, I scrolled through the mauls/axes and most had 25 or 30 reviews...then I came across the X25 and it had over 160!!! WHAT? So I searched youtube for some videos supporting these "one hit one split" claims...then I searched for some blog posts, and everyone was raving about this thing!!! Really? This 4 1/2lb splitting axe can really make that quick of work out of splitting both wet or dry wood? YES!!! I am truly a believer.

Being tall, I always split on a stump or big round anyway to get the work closer to me. I really didn't have to adjust my stance all that much, it just felt natural after a few swings. And the more confident I got with it, I was popping rounds in one strike on a regular basis. Some of the bigger cedar rounds that were wet took me no more than 3 strikes to split it. With my old maul it would have been a huge ordeal including wedges. Not so with this. It's VERY nice to use, it just feels good and to see the wood split like that is incredible. I don't have any desire to go for the X27 which is the 36" model.

Another thing I need to add is that this thing does NOT get stuck. Very easy to remove from a sappy wet round. I don't know how they did it, but I'm sold and very happy I choose to buy this. Got it delivered for less than $40. You just can't beat it. If you're in the market, don't think twice. This is your maul/axe. I did not buy the sharpener with it yet, but might in the future. It does come very sharp! And I love the plastic head cover that comes with it. I put it back on after each use.

No comments:

Post a Comment