Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Five Stars for Fiskars, but beware Amazon's return policy

Reviews: Fiskars 7884 X27 36-Inch Super Splitting Axe

As many others have noted in their reviews, this is a fantastic tool. I have several Fiskars axes, and was thrilled to see a longer version of the Splitting Axe offered. I have split many cords of firewood with my 7854 28" Splitting Axe, which is now called the X25. My particular X27 didn't hold up very well, the handle cracked and then broke after a few uses. I contacted Amazon about a replacement, and Amazon was not interested in replacing the axe since more than 30 days (about 60) had passed since purchase. I pointed out to the Amazon CSR that a product advertised as "unbreakable" could be reasonably expected to last longer than 30 days. Amazon remained uninterested, and suggested that I contact Fiskars. I did so, filling out a short form on the Fiskars web site, and submitting a photo of the broken axe. A Fiskars representative contacted me a few days later, and my replacement axe arrived in ten days or so.

I am quite happy with Fiskars and their axes, somewhat less thrilled with Amazon. I admire Fiskars for standing behind their product. I am rather displeased with Amazon, I don't care for the "You bought it, it's your problem" approach to warranties. I feel that the retailer of an item should play some part in the warranty process, for a reasonable period of time, especially in the case of lifetime warranties. I believe 30 days to be a bit shy of a reasonable period.

I should point out that while Fiskars advertises the axe with a lifetime warranty, Amazon does not note this on their product page. I recall that the Fiskars axes were advertised as "unbreakable", whereas the are now described as "virtually unbreakable".

Five Stars for a fine product and a great manufacturer.

Maybe three stars for Amazon on this one. More like two.

No comments:

Post a Comment