Saturday, September 15, 2012

Like Butter

Reviews: Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe

Someone else mentioned that this thing splits like butter. I'll echo that sentiment. The blade is shaped just right to quickly penetrate the wood and create a split. The outer coating of a teflon-like substance means that the force of you blow will be transferred into lateral force, pushing the two halves of the split apart. The blade is very sharp. Not quite razor sharp, but it would slice you open if you let it.

I was able to split 20" rounds of wet maple with ease. Anything larger than 14" needed at least 2 whacks to make the initial split, but two to four shots in the same area usually did the trick. Larger than 20" still requires a sledge and wedge for the initial split.

After an hour of splitting with the Fiskars, I switched back to my old 8 pound maul for a few whacks. I noticed right away that although it weighed almost twice as much (and my back and hands noticed that immediately), the larger maul split no better. I'm never using the pointy end of my maul again (i use the blunt side for wedges).

For reference, I split wood with the 8 pound maul 2 weekends ago. I split about 10 rounds before tiring (I'm not in great shape). Using the Fiskars, I split 25+ rounds before tiring.

If you're splitting on hardscape or rocks, I would recommend either setting up on another round, or figuring out another way to keep the axe from hitting the ground when you don't expect it. Otherwise it will, an you'll lose your factory edge.

I split multiple rounds together, which means that often on smaller splits, the Fiskars would go quickly through the small piece, and the handle would bash on some other piece of wood. The light weight of the Fiskars meant that the shock of stopping the blade with the handle was minimal, and even after 40 or 50 such strikes, there was no noticeable damage to the handle. I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good.

Advantages:
Light weight, but splits as well as a heavier maul.
Tough handle stands up well to damage (so far)
Very well designed product.
Very sharp

Disadvantages:
Short handle - I noticed it, but after a few whacks it didn't bother me (I'm 6'-1). Bend your knees, spread your legs, and keep your hands low to ensure that the axe head is moving downward at impact, rather than angling towards your legs.
Gripping wood - when splitting medium sized rounds, i would occasionally strike hard enough to get the axe head stuck, but not tough enough to split the wood. Generally wigglin the end of the handle would un stick it, but occasionally i had to put a foot on the round to get the head out. This never happens with a splitting maul, but the trade off is worth it IMO.
It's not so powerful that it replaces the sledge & wedge - Larger than 20" rounds may still require some good old fashioned sledgehammering (depending on species & condition).

No comments:

Post a Comment