Monday, September 17, 2012

unbelievable wood splitter!

Reviews: Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe

I must admit I was quite skeptical when ordering the Fiskars 7854 Super splitting axe. I had read the reviews promoting it and also those noting its short length. When it arrived the first thing I noticed what the fit and finish of the Axe. Like the other Fiskars products I own this is a well made tool that should last many, many years.

So with new splitter in hand, off to the wood pile I go. First off I bust a few small rounds of maple, Walnut, Ash etc just to get a feel for the Axe. After the first couple of swings all my worries about the handle length had disappeared. I stand at 6'2" and the Axe length was just fine for me.
After warming up I moved over to a large round (24" plus dia) of gnarly, twisted white Oak that I have had laying around all summer. This piece of wood was my "Moby Dick" if you will...
Whenever I was out splitting wood this summer I would hit this behemoth with half a dozen swings or so of my 12Lb monster maul.
I must have whacked this chunk of wood 60+ times this year will little more than the bark coming off.
I figured that would be as good of a test as any for the fiskars Axe.
First strike was about six inches from the outside edge; as soon as It struck I heard a CRACK and seen a hairline fracture across the surface of the round. The next strike sent a large chunk of wood sailing!
About 15 more wacks and I had the whole round split up!
whats more is I felt little to no hand shock when swinging this axe. Additionally, at about 1/3 the weight of my "monster maul" I felt like I could swing this baby all day compared to the hour or so I can typically endure.
So to wrap it up, if you are looking for an excellent tool to split firewood by hand look no further than the Fiskars Super splitting Axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment