Friday, September 7, 2012

Efficient & More Safe Design

Reviews: Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe

Perhaps, not for everyone, this molded handle and head design prevent busting a wooden handle, if you miss.
The 4.5lb. head is enough to let the head do the work. I use it split the log pile and it didn't take long to feel confident about the splitter. For me, selecting a splitter is like choosing a baseball bat, a golf club or a surf rod; first, it should fit you.
I am over 65 yrs. of age, 5'6" tall, with short arms. The Fiskars #7854 is good compromise because it is not too light or too heavy to get the job done. The 28-inch handle seemed like just the right size for me. I found that just lifting the splitter head, directly up, over my head and then letting the entire weight of the head come straight down in a vertical path does the job and gives you maximum control. This will keep you safer, than trying to swing the axe splitter in a big circular arc from low and behind you.
As an eyeglass wearer, I also use a pair of safety goggles over them, when splitting.
My only complaint is that the molded handle, near the gripping area, is very smooth. I wished the designers had put some texture on the end of the handle. I use a pair of pair of Winter rubber g

No comments:

Post a Comment