Saturday, September 8, 2012

Superb. Like a hot knife through butter!!

Reviews: Fiskars 7884 X27 36-Inch Super Splitting Axe

Like most of you who are reading this review,I started researching this splitting axe/maul on the net and came across various forums from around the world. The X27 seemed to be mentioned as the tool to buy. The cost seem to vary depending on your home country.A little bit more digging brought me to Amazon and even with the pre-paid import duty and shipping, the Fiskars X27 came to the grand total of £52.50, delivered to my door.I could have paid this price for an inferior product with a wooden shaft and a pointed lump of metal on the end ( a friend of mine did!!)
The parcel duly arrived in the UK only three days after I had ordered it and this Sunday morning saw me attack a large pile of logs.Part of this pile was made up of trunk sections that were at least 18 inches across and 8 to 10 inches thick. I must say that I was somewhat dubious of the claims that other purchasers had made, but thought i should just crack on. I expected my first swing might open up a small split in the log end and that it would take at least three of four "big hits" to cleave it open.
How wrong was I!! The first hit split the trunk in half and each subsequent hit divided it into fire sized chunks. I found that I wasn't even working that hard and that my technique improved as I went through the pile of timber.
The X27 is a seriously, well designed, bit of kit. It is well made and looks like it should last a lifetime.
As fuel costs rise, wood burning stoves are become more popular in the UK and around the world. Dont make the mistake of buying the wrong axe.
Merry Christmas and happy chopping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment