Thursday, September 6, 2012

Top notch quality and well designed

Reviews: Fiskars 7884 X27 36-Inch Super Splitting Axe

Superb axe if I might say so myself! Being so lightweight, I can split two or three times the amount of wood with this tool, that I could with my 8lb maul. The key with using this axe is to swing it with speed, whereas my maul requires muscle to get the job done. I've found that if I hit it right (speed and accuracy), it will split most anything I put before it. I've found that if I can't split it with this axe, there's a good chance that I won't get it with my 8lb maul either, and will have to bring out the wedges. I think that says it all! This is one WELL designed axe that is virtually unbreakable (mine has endured some brutal overstrikes with no damage whatsoever).

That brings me to the one downside to this axe, and it's the shock that comes back to your hand if you overstrike. Since you need to use speed with this axe, when you do overstrike it is hard on your hands. I would recommend wearing gloves, and work on your aim and accuracy. Once I got the hang of it, this was almost a non-issue, as I rarely overstrike anymore. As with anything, practice is the key to good results.

I was going to buy a hydraulic splitter, but since getting this axe, I'll be spending the money on something else. I love the exercise of splitting wood, and this tool makes the job a pleasure. If I am splitting well seasoned wood, most of my strikes will split the wood the first time around.

About the handle length: Unless you are 5'0, then don't waste your time with the 28" handle. It isn't near as safe as the 36" version, and the longer handle is not bulky at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment