Sunday, September 9, 2012

Impressed

Reviews: Fiskars 7854 X25 28-Inch Splitting Axe

So I was skeptical about purchasing this axe after splitting by hand with a 15lb mega maul for the past several years I was not sure if this one could stack up. I assumed it would be nice to have this around for smaller, straight grained pieces where the 15lb maul would be overkill but surely a puny 4.5lb splitting axe could get the job done. I was proved wrong the first night I used the axe - it really is quite amazing how well this works. It can split any wood that I could split with the mega maul, but is 1/3 the weight. It is also easier to aim than a heavier maul and certainly does not wear you out as quickly. The edge is razor sharp and easy to maintain. The short handle would seem problematic at first, but it really is not a big deal once you get used to the feel of the axe. I do not have to use a full swing and oddly enough I swing this axe in the same way I would swing the mega maul - start above the head and come straight down with a snap of the wrist at the end.
I didn't believe all of the great reviews and just figured most people were not tough enough to swing a real maul and didn't know that much about splitting wood anyways. Boy was I wrong and now my only regret is not getting one of these earlier. You won't be disappointed. I split between 6 and 8 full cords of mixed hardwood a year by hand and this is my new best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment